- Suppresses weed growth.
- Retains soil moisture.
- Prevents water evaporation (especially in the summer).
- Helps keep soil temperature cooler and more consistent.
- Adds a decorative touch to your beds and garden.
You can count on The Grounds Guys to maintain your landscape and keep it looking beautiful all year long. Our mulching services can help create living soil so you can grow healthy plants and keep weeds at bay.
Types of Mulch We Offer
Different types of mulch are available, but they all fall into two categories, inorganic and organic. Both types of mulch can suppress weeds, but unlike organic mulches, inorganic mulches do not improve the soil since they don’t break down and decompose. However, certain inorganic mulches can warm the soil and radiate heat at night, benefiting some heat-loving plants and vegetables, such as eggplant and cherry tomatoes.
Different Types of Organic and Inorganic Mulch:
- Chips: These look great in flower beds, garden pathways, and shrub borders. However, they are not an ideal choice for annual flower beds and vegetable gardens. This is because they get in the way when digging the beds each year.
- Stones: Stones can keep weeds at bay longer and are an excellent choice for rock and cacti gardens. However, they raise the soil temperatures and don’t aid in soil health or plant growth.
- Grass clippings: As grass clippings break down, they release nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus, providing more nutrients for the soil. One of the downsides is they can become a home for pests.
- Cocoa hulls: These contain nitrogen, phosphate, and potash, which can increase soil vitality. Some downsides are that they can attract pests when they’re too wet and may develop harmless mold in hot and humid climates.
- Wood shavings: These reduce the need for water and fertilizer and improve the look of your yard. Some cons include blocking airflow, which can lead to root rot and fungus growth.
- Straw: This is a great choice to build healthy soil and help regulate the moisture and temperature in your garden. A downside is some straw may have seeds, which can produce weeds that will compete for water and nutrients.
- Bark chips: These are great at absorbing water, last longer, and are an excellent option for drier, stable landscapes. But, as it decomposes, bark may deplete nitrogen content from the soil.
- Pine straw: This is a low-maintenance option that is easy to spread. It can also help control erosion. On the downside, pine straws must be replaced often and can attract pests like mice and spiders.
Whether you need mulch for lawns or garden beds, you can count on our mulch landscapers experts to keep your beds and garden looking their best. And our Neighborly Done Right Promise™ guarantees you’ll get quality mulch service every time. Additionally, we’re happy to answer any questions you may have regarding our residential mulching services.
Professional Landscaping and Lawn Care Services You Can Count On
Your home is your special domain, and keeping it beautiful involves consistent lawn care and landscaping maintenance. Nothing keeps the outside of a property beautiful more than proper landscaping services. A healthy, green lawn and well-maintained plants also promote curb appeal and create a lovely first impression. However, these benefits don’t come without investing considerable time and effort, and not everyone has the time required.
If you’d rather spend your weekends doing something else, The Grounds Guys can help. We know your time is valuable, and we’re proud to assist you in keeping your property beautiful throughout the year. Learn more about the landscaping and lawn care services we offer. Our team is professional, dedicated, caring, and knowledgeable. We put our customers, and their needs first and always strive to exceed expectations. Contact us or call for a free estimate.