4 Simple Grass Treatments to Prepare for July 4th Guests
Are you panicking because your Fourth of July party is just around the corner, and your grass is bringing down the look of your property? Does it appear to be on its last leg? Don’t count it out just yet! An effective grass treatment should be just the thing to bring your lawn back to its original health and beauty before the festivities commence.
In 2016, the National Association of Landscape Professionals surveyed people and found that 69% confessed that their lawn could use a bit of work. For Independence Day, the team at The Grounds Guys of Gettysburg wants to help you enhance your exterior with some simple do-it-yourself lawn treatments that anyone can complete. Trust us, your Fourth of July guests will be talking about your healthy lawn until next year.
1. Don’t Let Your Lawn Go Thirsty
If you want to impress your July 4th guests, the first thing you need to start doing is watering (if you’re not already). Still, knowing exactly when to water your lawn and how much water to use can be confusing. If you’re a part of the 32% of people who admittedly aren’t sure when to water their lawns, keep a few tips in mind:
- Water twice weekly between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. to avoid rapid water evaporation.
- 1 to 2 inches of water is sufficient for your lawn.
- Avoid watering our lawn after heavy rainfall, and keep from overwatering after a long drought. You may have drought-tolerant grass (like perennial ryegrass or tall fescue) that doesn’t require excessive watering to stay healthy.
- Assess your lawn moisture by penetrating soil with a screwdriver at least 6 inches deep. If the soil is too dry, you typically won’t be able to push it down very far.
- Steer clear of measuring your watering by the length of time. Instead, use a tuna can to assess how long it takes to fill the can 1 to 2 inches.
2. Weed Like There’s No Tomorrow
Weed control is a grass treatment you should regularly complete (or allow a professional to complete). Weeding is essential to a healthy lawn that isn’t suffocated by unwanted growth or unable to get nutrients to root systems. It’s always best to weed after watering or particularly heavy rainfall. Removing weeds will ensure your lawn is ready for heavy foot traffic during your Independence Day party.
3. Add Fertilizer Till Your Heart’s Content (Well, Not Really)
Let’s talk about fertilizer for a second. Before you turn up your nose at the thought of your July 4th guests getting a whiff of manure in your fertilizer, there are less odorous alternatives on the market. We think it’s vital you know why fertilizer is one of the grass treatments that will turn your lawn from drab to fabulously prepared for your Independence Day visitors.
A healthy lawn takes a lot of energy (from you and the grass itself), so it is important to have the right nutrients to promote leaf and root growth. Adding fertilizer to your lawn will encourage a thriving ecosystem with the good microorganisms and insects that stave off and eliminate pests that love munching on grass blades.
4. Mulch Madness Isn’t Over
Oh, you thought Mulch Madness was finished? Think again! Mulching isn’t just reserved for spring. You should mulch in summer, especially if you’re trying to have a lawn ready to impress your loved ones for your July 4th festivities.
Remember, when it comes to mulching:
- Prevent mounding or piling mulch against tree trunks and unintentionally causing disease and rot to run amuck.
- Consider whether organic or inorganic mulch is right for your lawn. Both have advantages but think about how much time you have to devote to reapplying inorganic options.
- Don’t skimp on higher-quality mulch to save a few dollars. On the same note, avoid overspending on high-priced mulch that may not yield the health results you’re looking for.
The most important thing you can do is to keep mulching! Don’t stop mulching once Independence Day is over and there’s no one to entertain. Be consistent with mulching. Trust us; it’ll pay off in the long run.
Let The Grounds Guys of Gettysburg Get You Ready for the Holidays!
The Fourth of July is fast approaching. Is your lawn ready? Let our lawn care and landscaping experts prepare your landscape for the onslaught of holiday guests.
Not interested in do-it-yourself lawn treatments? Trust the “right” guys for the job! We can perform effective grass treatments and maintenance tasks to stimulate roots and make your lawn the center of attention before, during, and after the fireworks.
Call us or request a free estimate for lawn care and maintenance in Gettysburg today.