How to Care for Bermuda Grass
Last Updated July 12, 2023
Bermuda grass is an ideal warm-season grass for landscapes that get a lot of foot traffic. Many homes and commercial properties appreciate its aesthetic appeal. Although heat and drought tolerant, Bermuda grass still requires proper care, including regular mowing to maintain an ideal height of one-half to two-and-a-half inches, weekly deep watering, fertilization, annual aeration, and regular weed control. When you learn how to take care of Bermuda grass, you'll have a thick, durable, and sturdy lawn that recovers quickly from heavy foot traffic.
A closer look at the various techniques for Bermuda grass care will shed light on the best approaches for each method.
Overseeding Bermuda grass helps to keep it looking thick, lush, and healthy. For best results, overseed periodically when soil temperatures are about 65 to 70 degrees.
Benefits include the following:
- Helps to keep grass dense and healthy.
- Reduces weeds in the summer.
- Mow frequently enough so that no more than one-third of the grass blades are removed at a time
- Increases tolerance to drought, salt, and insects.
- Minimizes ryegrass competition.
- Increases soil temperature for quick recovery.
- Maintain a height of between one-half to two-and-a-half inches.
- Start mowing in the spring when the grass turns green.
- Mow frequently. Not more than one-third of the grass blades should be removed at a time.
- Always use a sharp mower blade.
- Avoid bagging unless scalping for the first spring mow.
- Irrigate only as needed.
- Water deeply once a week, saturating the soil to a depth of approximately six inches.
- Aerate in early summer, prior to fertilizer application.
- Read more tips on how to aerate and why it is important for developing a healthy lawn.
Cold temperatures tend to keep insect problems at bay. But when the temperatures start to warm up, insects are ready to munch on Bermuda grass. Unfortunately, insects can seriously injure your lawn.
Insects that frequently feast on the blades and roots of Bermuda grass include the following:
- Grub worms
- Bermuda grass mites
- Fire ants
- Mole crickets
- Sod webworms
- Fall armyworms
Fortunately, you can learn how to maintain Bermuda grass and keep insects under control at the same time. The following help control pests:
- Mowing the grass at ideal heights (see above recommendations)
Caring for Bermuda grass means you need to control weeds. Yes, it’s labor-intensive and takes significant time. But weed control is a must to keep your landscape looking beautiful all year.
The following are some of the common grassy and broadleaf weeds in Bermuda grass:
- Barnyard grass
- White clover
How to control weeds:
- Apply pre-emergent herbicides for spring and summer weeds after the threat of winter injury.
- Control broadleaf weeds with post-emergence applications. Always follow label directions.
- Do not apply herbicide more than two to three times per year.
- Proper fertilization starts with a soil test. Then, based on the results, the proper nutrients are selected and applied. This requires knowledge on the subject, but we can help. Learn more about our lawn fertilization services and how they assist you.
There are specific tools and equipment you’ll want to have on hand to care for Bermuda grass all year round, such as the following:
- Broadcast spreader to apply pre-emergent herbicide and fertilizer
- Manual lawn aerator (spike or plug) or mechanical aerator
Caring for Bermuda grass takes significant time, effort, and knowledge. Hiring a professional instead leads to more free time for you, along with better results. Find your local The Grounds Guys® and let us do the work! Our service professionals are experts on how to care for Bermuda grass, and they are happy to bring their knowledge, skills, and all the right equipment to the job.
We provide free estimates and always arrive on time, in uniform, and ready to complete the project to the highest standards. We take pride in our high-quality work and stand by the Neighborly Done Right Promise™, which guarantees your satisfaction.
Keep Your Bermuda Grass Healthy and Beautiful
Knowing how to take care of Bermuda grass will help you to maintain a thicker, fuller lawn that you can enjoy day after day. The landscaping experts at The Grounds Guys are happy to answer any of your questions about caring for Bermuda grass or any other landscaping or lawn care concerns. Contact us for more information or to schedule an appointment today!