This is the perfect time of year to improve your outdoor space with additions that may include an irrigation system, outdoor living area, deck and hardscaping features. By acting now, you take advantage of the chance to work in the warm weather while still getting to enjoy the additions you make for the rest of the summer.
Looking for some inspiration? Here are four ways to improve your outdoor space this year.
If you don’t have an automatic sprinkler system installed, this could be the year to add one. Irrigation systems offer the most convenient option for watering your lawn and garden.
Benefits of Installing an Irrigation System
- No hassle: The ability to schedule each lawn watering with the touch of a button is hugely convenient. There’s no need to drag a hose across your lawn and set a timer to reposition it every few minutes. You simply create a watering schedule and let the system do the rest.
- Water at the right time: An irrigation system makes it easy to water your grass early in the morning, the best time of day for this task. Advanced systems even have rain sensors to avoid watering when Mother Nature has already taken care of it. The system can even water when you’re out of town so you never come home to a yellowed lawn.
Importance of Maintaining Your Irrigation System
While automatic sprinklers are designed to take the trouble out of watering your lawn, it’s still important to keep an eye on the system. You want to make sure the sprinklers aren’t watering the sidewalk while leaving a big patch of grass feeling thirsty. You also must ensure all zones are turning on and off the way they’re supposed to.
If you encounter any problems with your sprinklers, The Grounds Guys® offers irrigation system repair to get everything up and running again like normal. We can repair, replace and troubleshoot any problems you’re having.
Outdoor Living Areas
When you bought your house, you probably took the back yard into consideration. Maybe you loved the size but realized you might one day want to turn it into more of an outdoor living area. This summer is the time to act!
Types of Outdoor Living Areas
- Outdoor living room: If you love having a cool breeze hit your face but you want all the comforts of the indoors, a covered outdoor living room is perfect. Comfortable furniture with outdoor cushions and fabrics ensure both comfort and durability. You can even install a ceiling fan to help you stay cool.
- Outdoor kitchen: Cooking outside needn’t be restricted to grilling burgers on Independence Day. With a fully functional outdoor kitchen – complete with a grill, sink, dishwasher and refrigerator – you’ll want to barbecue every day!
- Screened-in tent: Pesky insects can ruin the best evenings out, but with a screened-in patio or portable tent, you can enjoy eating, drinking and playing cards with friends all night long.
Benefits of Creating Outdoor Living Areas
- Host large gatherings: If your home’s square footage isn’t enough to accommodate large crowds, having a functional outdoor living space increases your ability to entertain.
- Take advantage of warm summer nights: You probably feel cooped up inside all day in your efforts to avoid the unbearable summer heat. When the sun goes down, outdoor living areas allow you to get your fill of fresh air in a comfortable, inviting backyard environment.
- Get romantic: There’s something about sitting under the stars with a glass of wine that sparks a bit of romance. You don’t want to pass that up!
You have all these ideas to create a relaxing outdoor space, but you need the right structure under foot to make it happen. Installing a deck is one option.
Benefits of Installing a Deck
- Have a place to create an outdoor living area: The flat, even surface of a deck is the perfect backdrop for an outdoor living room, kitchen or screened-in area.
- Enjoy the look of this natural material: If you love the look of hardwood floors on the inside, you probably want to extend that look outside with a wood deck. Just be aware you need to maintain your deck properly by applying a weather protector twice a year and sanding the deck every five years to avoid buckling, warping and rotting.
Ways to Liven Up Your Deck
- Add plants: A deck is beautiful by itself, but to really make it your favorite hangout spot, add some flowers and greenery. This can be as simple as placing planters on the deck or as in-depth as installing built-in wood planters that blend in seamlessly with the deck itself.
- Consider privacy: You can build a fence, but other more natural options include planting tall arborvitae bushes or erecting a trellis for vines to grow on.
- Consider shade: To make your deck an enjoyable hangout spot during the day, consider installing an awning or pergola to block the sun.
Sometimes your back yard needs a little stone, or hardscaping, to feel complete. Whether installed on a small or large scale, adding a hardscape to your yard is sure to be beneficial.
Examples of Hardscapes
- Outdoor kitchens
- Fireplaces and fire pits
- Sidewalks and paved paths
- Pools and fountains
- Retaining walls
Benefits of Installing Hardscapes
- Make your yard more functional: Grass, trees and flowers are nice to look at, but they don’t provide the same functionality as hardscapes. You’re sure to enjoy your outdoor living space more with the addition of a pool, fireplace or other hardscape feature.
- Increase home value: Not every home has beautiful, functional hardscape. If you ever decide to move, this backyard addition is sure to make your home stand out, allowing you to sell faster and at a higher price.
To receive a free quote and begin your backyard improvement project, please contact The Grounds Guys today. We’ll create a beautiful, functional outdoor living space for you to enjoy this summer and many summers to come!
For further reading: