Everyone can benefit from a little extra “push” to be and look his or her best. Lawns are no different. When property owners feed their lawns with the right amount and type of fertilizers, they push their lawn and plants to grow and thrive. Fertilizing your lawn and plants is a great way for you to feed soil, provide extra nutrients, enhance the texture of blades of grass or leaves of plants, and boost water-retention capabilities.
When dealing with fertilizer, safety is important. Here are some safety tips from The Grounds Guys on how to handle fertilizer safely:
- Fertilizer is not a one-size-fits-all solution; every soil and lawn is different. Have your soil tested to eliminate the guesswork of what to use and how much fertilizer to apply.
- Read and follow the fertilizer package directions on how to apply and handle the fertilizer. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to give the experts at The Grounds Guys a call for assistance.
- Wear gloves and goggles or glasses when applying fertilizer to protect your skin and eyes.
- Disperse granular fertilizer with a spreader and work it into the ground with a rake and water the lawn as instructed.
- Prevent fertilizer from running into ponds, streams, or other water sources.
- After working with fertilizers, clean off your equipment and the soles of your shoes. Avoid walking indoors in the same shoes worn when fertilizing to avoid tracking fertilizer into your home.
- Sweep up dry fertilizer that is dispersed onto sidewalks, the porches, the patio, or the driveway to keep pets and children safe.
- Store fertilizers safely. A locked cabinet or high shelf is a good location to store it.
- If you are exposed to the chemicals, wash them off and seek medical attention if needed.
The experts at The Grounds Guys understand that residential and commercial lawn growth depends on nutrients or essential elements absorbed by roots from the soil through regular fertilization. Their team will work with you to create a customized lawn fertilization program, using high-quality, controlled release fertilizers that provide the nutrients your lawn and plants need to maintain optimal growth.