Luther Burbank once said, “Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul.”
Think about that for a minute. Medicine for the soul… Flowers have a special way of simply making folks feel better. They’re like grandma’s soup and mom’s TLC packaged into one delightfully, aromatic hug of sunshine.
But you can’t just go to the florist and pick out just any ol’ flower. You know that, right? There’s actually meaning behind the type of flower and even the color of the flower. For example, you would most definitely not want to give the love of your life a striped carnation since the meaning behind a striped carnation is “I can’t be with you.” Yikes, major snafu to the 100th degree.
But there’s no need for you to worry about this. Your friends at Grounds Guys are here to help. We certainly don’t want you to end up on a naughty list because of a good deed gone bad. So, here’s a handy listing of the top 10 flowers and their meaning. Happy flower giving!
- Gardenia - Meaning: secret love, sweet love
- Daisy - Meaning: beauty, innocence, love
- Roses – multiple meanings depending on color
Red Meaning: love, passion
Pink Meaning: secret love, happiness, beauty
White Meaning: purity, virginity
Yellow Meaning: friendship, platonic love
- Lilac – multiple meanings depending on color
Mauve Meaning: Do you still love me?
Purple Meaning: first emotion of love
Pink Meaning: acceptance, youth
- Tulip – multiple meanings depending on color
Pink Meaning: imagination
Red Meaning: believe me, declaration of love
Yellow Meaning: hopeless love
White Meaning: forgiveness, lost love
- Orchid – Meaning: beauty, love
- Lily of the Valley – Meaning: return of happiness, healing
- Stephanotis Flower – Meaning: luck, prosperity
- Hydrangea Flower – Meaning: frigidity, heartlessness
- Sunflower – Meaning: loyalty, adoration, pride