The sweet smell of berries is everywhere. The scent can be found in candles, shower gels, lotions, lip-glosses, jams, jellies, and air freshener sprays. But there’s no doubt about it, nothing smells as sweet or tingles the taste buds as much as the aroma of a homemade fruit cobbler or a delicious fruit pie as it’s taken out of the oven.
As you read this, think about your favorite fruit cobbler or pie (and maybe the delicious dollop of vanilla ice cream on top!). Whether your favorite is blueberry, cranberry, blackberry, or another berry, berries can put a smile on your face and take you back to memories you hold dear to the heart.
Here are some common berries and some delicious recipes you may want to try:
- You don’t have to wait until the holidays to enjoy the sweet, succulent taste of blueberries. You can enjoy this berry year-round.
- Cranberries contains no cholesterol and virtually no fat and is low in sodium. It can help you create tasty appetizers, breads, drinks and desserts!
- Whether fresh or frozen, recipes made with blackberries are a treat.
- Red currants are harvested in the summer but can be frozen to make delicious desserts to enjoy during the holidays.
- While boysenberry is not commonly known, it mixes well in salads, cakes, and pies. It’s dark purple, juicy and is a cross of raspberry and blackberry in one.
- Goosberries are delectable additions to cocktails, pies, cobblers, jams and much more.
- If you’re looking for a berry that offers a sweet-tart taste, raspberries are the perfect choice for you.
To grow your own fresh berries, consider growing them in containers.
- Find a large container that allows the plant roots to spread out and the top of the plants to thrive.
- Make sure you add drainage holes to prevent overwatering.
- Select a good soil for your container to provide the proper nutrients the plants need.
- Choose berries that are fitting for your weather zone.
- Practice patience. It can take some berries about a year to grow and mature enough to produce a good harvest.
- Enjoy the delicious flavors and textures of berries during any season.
Tip: While recipes prepared freshly harvested berries are often best, frozen options can satisfy the taste buds and add a treat to any meal too! If you have questions about plants, landscapes, or lawn care needs, give the experts at The Grounds Guys a call today!