7 Tips for Choosing Aquatic Flowers & Plants
Did you know that taking your pond from ordinary to extraordinary can be as simple as selecting the perfect aquatic plants? Colorful flowers or green plants can give your pond that extra bit of spark to catch onlookers’ eyes and improve your curb appeal dramatically.
Below are some tips to consider when choosing plants that work best for enhancing your pond:
- Fake or Real? – This is answered by asking if you want to have fish in the pond or not. Fish will need the oxygen that is emitted from a live plant to survive in a smaller pond with less circulation. Real plants are the better choice if you are able to take care of them.
- Find the Right Number – Having too many plants can cause a decrease in activity for your fish and create overcrowding. This also creates an algae problem more quickly than you would like by not allowing the sun to kill certain bacteria.
- Highs and Lows – Having a great balance between submerged and above-surface plants can reduce clutter and create more space in your pond.
- Do Your Research – For example, if you get the water hyacinth, you should know that it is one of the fastest growing plants in the world and has been known to clog filters in ponds. Knowledge is power (and can save you money). Check online or seek the advice of the professionals for the selection of aquatic plants. Resources such as the Conservation Committee of the State of Missouri or the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service can help.
- Match Your Region – Select aquatic plants based on the region you live. Making sure the plants you choose fit with your specific climate, or hardiness zone, helps ensure your aquatic plants will thrive and survive in your area.
- Know Your Surroundings – Choose the colors of the plants based on the color scheme of where the pond is located. Also, if the shoreline of the pond needs to be stabilized, use rooted plants to secure the ground from erosion.
- Consult the Experts – When in doubt, reach out to the experts to help plan and create the perfect pond for you. Professionals, like the experts at The Grounds Guys, can help you in determining the best choice in aquatic plants.
A pond is a great source of “life” that can bring a whole new look and feel to your landscape. Let the experts at The Grounds Guys can help take your pond from ordinary to extraordinary with the right aquatic plants and their expert aquatic management services.