Get Creative with Lawn Mowing Patterns
Did you know that mowing your lawn is often considered an art? It’s true! With a few surprisingly simple mowing tricks, property owners can turn their lawns into unique masterpieces that are the talk of the town.
Since the warmer weather warrant that lawns need mowing more frequently, it’s the perfect time to experiment with some new and creative mowing patterns, or let the professionals at The Grounds Guys help you.
Proper Mowing = Healthy Lawn
Proper mowing plays an essential role in maintaining a healthy lawn. Before property owners choose to enhance their lawns with a pattern, consider these basic mowing tips to keep grass in the best possible shape.
- Mow when grass is dry. Wet grass is more difficult to cut, and dry grass will help keep mowers running smoothly.
- Keep mower blades sharp to ensure a sharp, even cut.
- When mowing, try to maintain a consistent speed for the most even lines.
- Leave the mowing and lawn maintenance to the professionals.
Fun and Creative Mowing Tricks
After property owners master basic mowing techniques, it may be time to step out of the comfort zone and get a little creative with some fun and lawn flattering mow patterns. While there are many different patterns to try, these four ideas can help get you started on your very own lawn masterpiece.
- Mow a straight, even first stripe while keeping in mind a “line of sight” to use to guide the rest of the stripes.
- Mow in slow Y-turns rather than making sharp turns, which can damage grass, then start on the next stripe.
- Mow the perimeter of the lawn to create a smooth border.
- Start by mowing the first diagonal stripe down the center of the lawn, then mow another stripe right next to it.
- Drive around the edge of the lawn and mow a second stripe in the same direction, which creates one light stripe with two dark stripes next to it.
- Continue this pattern until both sides of the lawn are striped.
- Make the crossing stripes by making a diagonal first stripe in the opposite direction and making a return pass right next to it, just like the first time.
- Continue the same pattern, one stripe then two stripes back, until the lawn is completely cut.
- Starting in the innermost point, mow in a circle shape.
- Alternate directions mowing for each circle thereafter.
- This pattern is a good option for mowing around trees, flagpoles, etc.
- Mow a first stripe. For a smooth wave pattern, keep turns subtle and consistent throughout the design.
- Use the first wave as a guide to align the rest of the waves.
Mowing patterns are an easy and unique way to transform a property from simply ordinary to extraordinary. The professionals at The Grounds Guys are experts at creating beautiful lawn designs for both residential and commercial properties. Don’t hesitate to give them a call if you are ready to try something new and creative with your lawn.