Keeping Your Fountain or Pond Clean and Clear
In the heat of the summer, there is nothing more refreshing than going for a swim in your pool or listening to the tranquil sounds of your outdoor fountain. But before you can dive into your pool’s cool blue water or relax and enjoy the serenity of your fountain, you have to perform the regular maintenance that prolongs their crystal-clear perfection. It’s no fun swimming in or sitting by a murky, green pool or fountain!
Regular maintenance is absolutely necessary to ensure your pool or fountain stays in good condition. Although you might think pool or fountain maintenance is drudgery, it’s not that cumbersome when you think about how quickly your outdoor enjoyment can turn from a blessing into a burden if proper care is not taken.
The outdoor experts at The Grounds Guys explain why it’s important to regularly maintain your pool or fountain. They also offer simple tips on how you can keep them in pristine condition.
To keep your pool in top performing order, it’s important for you to follow a weekly regimen. Would you not brush your teeth for two weeks? We hope not! You might have some serious plaque buildup and bad breath if you did. In the same way, not taking care of your pool for two to three weeks will cause the water to begin to turn cloudy or discolored. Algae are the main culprits for this discoloration. Algae are living aquatic creatures that multiply rapidly on warm, sunny days. But the discoloration may be more than just algae — it might contain E. coli and other harmful bacteria.
To maintain your pool, consider these simple tips:
- Remove leaves, bugs and other debris: Leaves and other debris can obstruct the filter equipment. Skim your pool every two to three days to remove leaves and other debris from the surface. Once the debris sinks to the bottom, it’s much harder to get out.
- Check the water level: The water level is important in a pool to help maintain the proper balance of chemicals as well as to allow the pump, filter, and other equipment to function correctly.
- Check chlorine and pH levels and adjust as necessary: Proper balance of pool chemicals and minerals makes for an enjoyable swimming experience, keeps equipment clean, and creates sparkling, clear pool water. Your pool supply company will have testing kits for both pH and chlorine levels, and they can also provide you with guidance on what to do to fix any imbalances.
- Scrub the tiles or pool edge along the water line: Algae can cling to the pool’s edge making it a breeding ground for bacteria. Regular scrubbing will prevent any buildup of these harmful substances.
- Shock your pool: "Shocking” refers to the process of adding chlorine or non-chlorine chemicals to your pool in order to raise the "free chlorine” level to a point where contaminates such as algae and bacteria are destroyed. On average, it is recommended that you shock your pool every two weeks, or once a week during peak swimming season.
Fountains demand regular servicing to maintain their beautiful, tranquil appearance. Fountains that are lacking proper maintenance suffer from neglect and can actually detract from your property’s appeal.
Check out these tips for keeping your fountain maintained:
- Check the water level: Make sure that the water pump is covered with water at all times so that it runs properly. Use distilled water, if possible, to reduce the amount of mineral buildup in the fountain and on the water pump.
- Remove leaves and debris: Much like pools, fountains can harbor algae and mineral buildup if not cleaned out regularly. Skim the water’s surface 1-2 times per week with a small net to remove any leaves, bugs or other debris that could clog the water pump.
- Drain the water: Unplug the pump and drain the water once a month or when the water appears dirty.
- Scrub the inside of the fountain: Once drained, scrub the inside of the fountain with a stiff-bristled brush and a mild detergent. Rinse thoroughly so that no detergent remains. Be cautious of using stronger cleaning agents like bleach or chlorine. Although chlorine keeps swimming pools clean, it destroys portable fountain pumps and is harmful for the birds that love to splash and play in fountains.
Whether you’re a homeowner or business owner, maintaining a pool or fountain on your property doesn’t have to be a burden. Turn to The Grounds Guys Aquatic Management team for residential or commercial help! They can provide you with the help and tips that you need to enjoy your pool or fountain to the fullest!